Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Visit from a Friend


What a great week! Our good friend James Forlines arrived on Saturday evening. I picked him up from the Thailand border at about 5 p.m. with his 4 bags. The weekend was full of fun and interesting things.


First, we decided to go to dinner that evening at an Indian restaurant downtown. We started walking down our road to find a tuk tuk but instead we found a sam lo. These are a little different. It’s a two seater. So James got on the back of the motorbike while Bethany and I got in the two seats attached to the side. It was quite the funny site. But it got even funnier when the rain came. Out of nowhere, it started pouring. By the time we got to the restaurant, we were all soaked and laughing.


That evening was kind of like Christmas. As I mentioned, James had 4 bags and he’s usually a light traveller. Needless to say, he had stuff for us. Before we left Nashville, Bethany and I set aside some things to ship. When we found out how much it cost, we deferred to free shipping called James. He brought all our cooking utensils and even a cast iron skillet. I know you might think that’s overkill but it is truly necessary. Well, that’s my opinion. Anita, James’ wife, sent chocolate chips and goldfish crackers. And the big surprise was a little white box. Our friend Lori put together a little package from our friends in Nashville filled with very meaningful gifts. There was a package of cinnamon-hazelnut coffee from Star Bagel, Bethany’s favorite coffee cup from Kiley and Jenny’s house, and letters from Bethany’s former 5th graders. There were definitely tears.


Sunday morning we met with some friends to talk and sing songs. It was a good time. We even went out for authentic Lao food afterward to a restaurant floating on the Mekong River. I think James was impressed with the scenary. Pakse is surrounded beautiful mountains. The afternoon was spent talking around the table at the house, and preparing for the team to come over for dinner. (I took a nap too because I was a little grumpy.) We wanted James to get to know the people we have the privilege of working with. So I whipped up some fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and slaw. I think the team liked it.










Monday, James came to school with me and Bethany. He came to both of my classes. The students have been studying how to have a first conversation. I decided to utilize James to give them practice. After their vocabulary quiz, James spoke about his family and life in Nashville for about 10 minutes. Then the students were able to spend the rest of the class asking question, getting to know him. That evening was spent playing scrabble, eating popcorn, and drinking coke. It kind of felt like home.


We sent him off this morning. We were sad to see him go but thrilled that he visited. James is very special to us, a very good friend, and a great example for us, and it was comforting to have someone so close to be with us here.

1 comment:

  1. Love you guys. I hope things continue to go well for you. Jennifer and I are really enjoying Sooner country. I will continue to pray for you all. Your pic is on the frig and you know how often I visit there. Love you man.

    ReplyDelete