Friday, November 6, 2009

First Haircut in Pakse and Unwanted Visitor




If you know me, I’m a little picky when it comes to appearance. I wouldn’t say that I’m vain; and I hope others wouldn’t either; but I do like to look my best. I’ve been due for a hair cut, so I asked one of my students if he would take me to get it cut. He told me that he knew just the place. We ventured out this afternoon and stopped at what you might call “a hole in the wall.” And it really was. There were only two walls.


The barber seemed nice enough. And it only took about ten minutes. I’m a firm believer in “you get what you pay for.” This is no exception. The haircut cost about $1.25, that included trimming up my sideburns (too short, I might add) with a dull straight razor - quite painful. If I were in Nashville, I’d be a little embarrassed with the results. But guess what, I’m not. So it’s fine.


Before I left the house for my haircut, Bethany and I had a visitor. You know we love visitors but not these kind. It was a fairly good-sized lizard. Frankly it was a little scary looking. I went to the landlord’s house and had a Lao person come remove it from the house. We have friendly, very little lizards in the house all the time. That’s just the name of the game. But this was a big lizard that bites. Not so good.






3 comments:

  1. Yikes. The guy with the lizard looks very amused by you squeamish people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have freaked out and don't know that I would have had the presence of mind to grab the camera, but am so glad that you did--these are the kinds of pictures people need to see so that we can remember "you're not in Kansas anymore!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, when I read on FB that you were getting a haircut, I chuckled to myself knowing how you are. And then chuckled even more when I read the post. LOL And I have nothing to say about the lizard!

    ReplyDelete