Friday, October 23, 2009

Special Delivery and Game Night at the Coopers

Everyone loves to get mail. But it seems as if the longing is intensified when you move over seas. We love to be on Skype and get email from our friends, but there is something about going to the post office to claim a package with your name on it. My mom was so gracious to send us a care package. And I didn’t even tell her to. I guess that is what moms do.








First on the list was some kind of meat. I know that sounds funny, but she didn’t think I was eating enough meat so she bought some Hormel microwave dinner featuring roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy. I don’t have a microwave but luckily, there are directions for boiling. And if you know me, I like to cook from scratch, but I had one today, and it was good! I also got some undershirts. Of course she had to send something practical. And she sent granola bars which Bethany loved.


All in all, it was nice to come home from a long day of teaching to a big box of gifts!


Tonight, we had some students over for dinner and game night. I get a little tense when we have people over. I want everyone to like the food and conversation and just have fun. I think all of those were accomplished this evening. If you know me and Bethany, our weekend wouldn’t be complete without having friends over for dinner. And we haven’t had the chance to do that until now. It was a nice feeling.


We made sticky rice, steamed rice, and roasted green beans with garlic and onion. We grabbed some whole fish grilled to perfection, and we were ready to go. After I thanked everyone for coming, I explain that in our home, we give thanks to our Father before we eat. It was a nice opportunity to show our heart. After dinner, we plays Spoons. The students loved it. And naturally, I won. But I didn’t make a big deal about it. (Well, maybe a little.)






Tomorrow, we’re shopping again which Bethany loves. We still need a desk and some shelves. I don’t know if I have the stamina to pull an all day shopping extravaganza so I hope it doesn’t take too long.


Russell

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the comforts of home. :) Looks like a fun night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet! game night is a great way to build relationships!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! We've been having a weekly game night, too. Last week we introduced our Spanish friends to, you guessed it, Spoons! They loved it! Guess it's a pretty universally fun game, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete