Monday, September 14, 2009

Over Mountain or Plain or Sea

I’ve needed some inspiration lately, and the Father knew just what I needed. Bethany brought a couple of books with her, one of which is called Over Mountain or Plain or Sea. It’s the autobiography of a fellow worker, Trula Cronk, and her husband Dan.


The first nugget of inspiration I found was in the foreword. I know it’s not the most likely place to find it; but as I began reading, a voice seemed to speak through the pages that was calming and familiar. And indeed it was. My dear friend Rob Morgan edited this gripping story and wrote a captivating introduction. There are some people in life that you not only connect with but they take the time to help shape your life. Rob has been one of those people in my life, and the foreword of this book seemed like a note from him to me.


Trula was from the mountains of East Tennessee. At a young age, her mother passed away. Sure that he could not provide a life or education for Trula, her father sent her to live with her aunt and uncle. Trula struggled. Although she was grateful, she never felt part of the family. At the beginning of her eighth grade school year, her aunt and uncle decided that they needed her to work around the house more than she needed an education. Trula thought otherwise. Completely distraught, she sought counsel from her teacher. This dear woman of encouragement made temporary arrangements for Trula to live near the school house. Trula was living by faith even at this young age, trusting the Father to take care of her every need. And He did.


I.L. Stanley and His wife Mary Frances from the local children’s home, operated by fellowships of our denomination, saw to it that Trula had a loving home and a proper education. Her time spent at this home shaped her life. She attained the education she desired. She even went on to college, something she never thought she could afford. It’s here she met Dan, her husband, a man of character and integrity.


They decided that the Father was calling them to India to serve the people there. They sacrificed a great deal to make it to India. And they sacrificed a even more to stay in India. But the mighty ways the Father proved faithful time and time again astounded me.


It was just what I needed, a story of His faithfulness, a story of the Father’s hand on every facet of Trula’s life. And it was a reminder that the Father has His hand on every facet of my life and Bethany’s. Thank you Dan and Trula for your example of faith. It was not in vain.

2 comments:

  1. I loved that book too and completely relate about Rob. So glad that it was the encouragement you needed today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book, but it sounds good, and I'm glad that you gave you just what you needed.

    ReplyDelete