Thursday, September 10, 2009

My New Friends


These are my new friends. The young lady’s name is La, and the young man’s name is Khamla. I just finished my 4th tutoring session with them. And it has been so fun. They are so appreciative of me taking time to teach them English. And I am so appreciative of them taking time to teach me Lao. Tonight I learned head, ear, hand, and feet. Of course, I learn much more in language school but it’s just too fun to learn from them.


Studying their language definitely gives me sympathy for them while they learn my language. Quite frankly, Lao is much easier than English. I cannot imagine how complex my language must seem. I’ve only been studying Lao for 2 1/2 weeks. I can already read any word I want. That just wouldn’t happen in this amount of time for an English learner.


Khamla keeps me entertained. The other day I introduced him to Bethany. He pointed to her and said, “My wife is very beautiful.” I knew what he meant. So I just said, “I think my wife is beautiful too.” Last night, he pointed to his head and said, “I have a stomach ache.” It took me several seconds to figure out what he meant. Tonight we were going over the names of things in a hotel room. I pointed to a pillow. He said, “Towel,....ugh, no.......soap.” It took all I had not to laugh. Although we laugh at each other’s pronunciation all the time.


I think I can do this. I think I can actually relate to the people around me. I had my doubts for sure. But it has been so easy to enjoy the company of my new found friends. I can’t wait to meet more.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Russell and Bethany,
    My heart almost bursts with pride as I read about your adventures and your successes. You are my heroes. Continue to enjoy the process and I will continue to believe in and think of you.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I laughed when reading your post, because I so can relate to those language learning stories. Love reading your blog and seeing all that you are doing and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friends-

    I laughed so hard! Russ...I can see you squeeze your eyes together and do that burst laugh that comes out through your lips when you're trying to light-heartedly laugh at someone when they're wrong. hahahaha

    I love you guys. I'm so proud of you! Your blog makes me just feel like I'm experiencing all of this with you. Hugs to my sweet friends!

    Lor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog...and boy, can I relate to the language stuff. So proud of you guys and I know the Lord is going to continue to use you in ways that you probably won't even realize. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about removing the last comment...brain freeze..LOL!!! So, I thought I would post another! :)
    Love reading your blog! So glad to see what all is going on in your lives! I am so proud of you all! :) Love all the pics!

    ReplyDelete