Tuesday, October 6, 2009

We're in!

We’re moved in. And I know you all want to see pictures but you’ll have to wait just a bit longer. It’s a really cute house with two bedrooms and two bathrooms, a good size kitchen and a large living space. We moved in on Saturday. It’s now Tuesday evening and we’ve made significant progress in getting settled in.


Bethany and I spent about 4 or 5 hours cleaning the kitchen. When I say clean, I mean disinfect. We concocted a bleach solution to use on the counters, in the cabinets, and in the refrigerator. After lots of scrubbing, Bethany was satisfied. Bethany cleaned the main bathroom the next day, but we haven’t cleaned much since.


Yesterday, we finally got the washing machine hooked up. The landlady sent a man over to work on it. He drilled to holes through the house for the hoses. Yes, I said “through.” The washer just drains to the back of the house along with the kitchen water. So after teaching this morning, Bethany spent the rest of the day washing clothes. She did three loads. That’s all that would fit on the rack outside.


I spent this morning cooking dinner. Things take a little longer around here. We wanted pasta with tomato sauce. So I peeled 25 tomatoes this morning and simmered some olive oil and fresh garlic with the tomatoes. It turned out nicely. In the midst of simmering the sauce, the gas tank ran out. Wouldn’t you know it.


This afternoon, I went to a little stand with my address written on an index card, and with the help of my team leader, I had gas in my house within the hour. Just after I got back, a water truck pulled in to our cul-de-sac. This is very important because up until then, Bethany and I did not have enough drinking water. We were able to get two 5 gallon jugs. And after that, I went to Lao Telecom to get internet. Yes, I was very busy! But it felt good to get so much accomplished.


Bethany and I finished the afternoon with a short nap and an episode of Murder, She Wrote. Quite the day. Who knows what is in store for tomorrow?

4 comments:

  1. That's great. Can't wait to see pictures. Hope all goes well and you feel "at home" real soon! Love you guys! Come see us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys ... we were your orientation mates in Colorado. We can appreciate the ups and downs you've experienced so far. We have been through much of the same in Yantai, but we take heart in knowing the Father has every detail already worked out. Blessings to the both of you ...

    Pete & Dalila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Exciting...Wish I could be there with y'all. Still waiting on my email... Love you guys. Thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete